Ethical Behaviour in Business
- You are interviewing candidates for an important role in your team. When you receive the short-list you notice that your cousin has applied. Does this change the way that you are going to approach the interview process?
- You own a small business and one of your main customers has failed to pay their last invoice, leaving you with a cash flow problem which means you are not able to pay your employees on time this month. What do you do?
- You own a small business and the electrician has advised you that you need to replace all the light fittings in your premises, including the bulbs. The more efficient fittings/bulbs are double the price of the budget versions. Which ones should you go for?
- Your manager is away for three days and an important document needs to be signed in person and sent today if you are to meet your deadline and achieve your personal performance target. What do you do?
- There’s been a serious accident at work. Your manager asks you to backdate and sign a risk assessment which would help the firm avoid liability for the accident in court. What do you do?
- You own a small clothing chain. Do you keep your prices low and sell more items, or do you pay your suppliers in Turkey more and charge your customers a higher price?
- You own a small chain of shops. Several of your customers have complained about your offers, saying that they are misleading – especially the 3 for 2 and buy one, get one half price. However, your sales have gone up considerably since the launch of the new offers. What do you do?
- You are a landlord and your tenant has complained of a strange smell in the property. The tenant regularly complains about minor issues and you are particularly busy at the moment. The gas and electrical safety checks were completed within the last 3 months. What do you do? Do you take any action?